history

from the begining.


Jschalp - a German-language expression for "Eis-Alp" is still used today in Walser dialect. When the glaciers retreat towards Dischma or Sertig, the Jschalp must have gotten its name. One glacier came over the Brämabüel (therefore this mountain is rounded) and the other around Jakobshorn (hence a horn or Spitz). 


Until 1952, only alpine farming was operated on the Jschalp. The alp was bred with 30 - 40 livestock and about 20 - 30 livestock (calves and mesen). In winter, the alp was not inhabited. 


In 1953, the cable car to Jschalp and the ski lift to Brämabüel was built. During the summer, the ski lift was converted into a chairlift. During the following years, the Jakobshorn became a well-known winter and summer sports arena with modern railway facilities and a large selection of rustic mountain huts. The visitor frequencies of the winter exceed those of the summer by 7 to 10 times. The alpine farming is operated by the Fopp family. There are currently about 12 cows and 10 cattle on the alp. It is still milked on the alp. 


The "Jschalp hut" was also built in 1953 with a simple barack construction. Around 1957, the temporary was replaced by a massive new building. In order to increase the space available, the house was increased at intervals of 10 years and grown. 

Recent renovations were undertaken in 2002 and 2011.